Looking for Sean McLachlan? He mostly hangs out on the Civil War Horror blog these days, but feel free to nose around this blog for some fun older posts!

You can also find him on his Twitter feed and Facebook page.



Thursday 25 September 2008

Computer Woes

While I was in the U.S. for the past few weeks I considered buying a new laptop since they're so much cheaper over there. I decided against it because my Inspiron 1100, which has been giving good service for almost five years, showed no signs of slowing down and therefore I couldn't justify the expense. The day after getting back to Madrid it started to die on me! Luckily my wife has lent me her old work laptop that she doesn't use anymore, but the timing is really annoying.

The problem seems to be overheating. Even when it's not running hot it will shut off, saying the system was getting too hot to remain safe for the components. It's lasted so long I guess it doesn't really owe me anything, but as a writer I need my computer.

Buying a laptop here is out of the question. Like many consumer items, computers are far more expensive in Europe than in the U.S., for no real logic I care to follow. Prices are even higher in England. Buying one over the Internet and having it shipped here won't work either, because the import duty will simply jack up the price. Looks like I'll just have to make do with what I can scrounge until I get back to the States. I'll try to get it fixed, but being so old I can't see it being worth much of an expense. If cleaning out the fan (which seems to be working properly) doesn't solve the problem, then it's goodbye old friend. . .

No comments: