Looking for Sean McLachlan? He mostly hangs out on the Civil War Horror blog these days, but feel free to nose around this blog for some fun older posts!

You can also find him on his Twitter feed and Facebook page.



Thursday 10 July 2008

Getting Plagiarized

In my last post, I talked about plagiarism at the White House press office, and wondered if I've ever been plagiarized. Well, not two hours after posting that entry I found out that I have! Some idiot on LiveJournal cut and pasted the entire July issue of Newbie Writers onto his blog. I have a series of articles in that newsletter based on some of my entries on the Midlist Writer blog.

What an idiot. Just because something is freely available on the internet doesn't mean you can copy it. The newsletter isn't even on the webpage, but only available through a free subscription, so he's obviously a subscriber. Not only did he violate the copyright of the newsletter editor, but he violated my copyright and that of all the other contributors. Well, a certain "newbie writer" needs to educate himself before he gets sued. Both the editor and I have filed abuse reports to LiveJournal.

Interestingly enough, I can't provide you a link to Idiot's post because that would be aiding and abetting a breach of copyright, and therefore would open me up to getting sued too. Plus I wouldn't want to subject you to his insipid prose and atrocious poem about erectile dysfunction. No, I'm not making that last bit up. I really, truly wish I was, but I'm not.

No comments: