Looking for Sean McLachlan? He mostly hangs out on the Civil War Horror blog these days, but feel free to nose around this blog for some fun older posts!

You can also find him on his Twitter feed and Facebook page.



Saturday 10 May 2008

Next Adventure: Ethiopia

Almudena and I have decided on our next adventure--we're planning a trip to Ethiopia. I've always wanted to go there and who wouldn't? An ancient culture, unspoilt nature, great food and the best coffee in the world. What else could you ask for?

It's about time I went on an adventure. It's been a few years and I'm getting the itch. Almudena will probably only get to take off a couple of weeks. I plan to spend two or three months. I'll write a couple of articles, and a publisher who is just signing me on for a history book will be getting a few related book proposals. I also want to write a travel book. My very first (still unaccepted) book proposal was a travelogue of the Kumbh Mela pilgrimage in India, and I really want to get into travel writing beyond magazine articles and guidebooks. Ethiopia will be perfect.

There's only one hitch--we can't go until 2010. This is year already planned out (but at least we'll be going to Italy) and we'll be spending most of next year in Oxford doing research. It's not so bad. I'll have time to get more of a background knowledge and hopefully meet some people who can tell me about the country.

Here's where my loyal readers come in. (I do have loyal readers, don't I?) If you've been to Ethiopia or know someone from there, I'd love to hear from you and them! I've done a fair amount of reading about the region, but there's so much I don't know. Drop me a line or leave a comment!

No comments: