Looking for Sean McLachlan? He mostly hangs out on the Civil War Horror blog these days, but feel free to nose around this blog for some fun older posts!

You can also find him on his Twitter feed and Facebook page.



Friday 17 April 2009

Outlaw Tales of Missouri Is Published!

This week TwoDot Press, a subsidiary of Globe Pequot Press, released my latest book, Outlaw Tales of Missouri. The last in what I call my "Missouri trilogy" of state history books, it covers the famous and not-so-famous characters that gave Missouri the nickname of "The Outlaw State".

I've dredged the files of the State Historical Society of Missouri to find forgotten stories and little-known facts, like the tale of the Yocum brothers, who made their own silver currency in the Ozarks that was valued more than money issued by the federal government. I've also looked at familiar tales from new angles. No book on Missouri outlaws would be complete without a chapter on the James brothers, but rather than focus on Jesse, I concentrate on his older brother Frank, who got into outlawry earlier and got out sooner. Unlike Jesse, he managed to die a peaceful death.

It's a fun read, if I do say so myself, and fans of Missouri history and the Wild West will find a lot here they like. Civil War buffs will like it too, since there are chapters on the notorious William Quantrill and a lesser-known rogue who went under the alias "Harry Truman" but who was definitely NOT related to the president from Missouri!

The book is available here. My other Missouri history books include Missouri: An Illustrated History and It Happened in Missouri.

3 comments:

Ana said...

CONGRATS!!!! :))

a few times when i had been to a bookstore here, either looking for a book or to get postcards, i was actually scanning the bookshelves, wondering if they maybe have some of your books....no luck so far =|

i actually doubt they could be found here...

Master said...

Hello from Pakistan!
Happy Postcard-Crossing Friendship!!!

I am Cheema from Pakistan. I am a new postcrosser at postcrossing.com site. I have also made a couple of beautiful blogs promoting my hobbies and sharing my collection.

My postcrossing's profile can be seen at:
http://www.postcrossing.com/user/cheema

At the moment, I am interested in Blog link exchange. If interested, you can add my blog to your postcrossers list and leave me a message at faisalcheema44@gmail.com or leave a comment on my blog http://mycoolpostcardcollection.blogspot.com/

I am also interested in swapping postcards with world UNESCO heritage site from your country. Can you send me any such card? At the moment (25 Apr 2009), I donot have any UNESCO site card from anywhere so all are welcome. Afterwards it will be selected cards which I would be missing. If its possible please send me the name of the site in your message and we can go ahead with our swap.

In return I can send you a nice postcard with beautiful landscape or UNESCO heritage sites from Pakistan - which I think will be a nice addition in your collection?

So are you interested....???

Waiting anxiously for your kind reply
Best Regards
Yours Cheema

Sean McLachlan said...

Hi Cheema! I like the blog. I can't believe you got a card from North Korea! How did you manage that?